I actually ate this for breakfast this morning, and let me tell you, you need to try it.
Like many others, I've had good experiences as well as bad experiences with tofu, but I definitely enjoyed this dish. The turmeric gives it a nice yellow color and adds great texture to the flavor. And with so many health benefits, it's great.
The Anaheim pepper is great too, you would think it may add too much spice but it's actually kind of sweet. I also tried this with a little salsa, which made it even tastier.
This is a really great recipe for vegans and omnivores alike, especially for people who enjoy eggs but are sensitive or allergic to them.
Note: This same recipe can obviously be used with eggs if tofu doesn't suit your fancy.
1 16-ounce package medium tofu
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced white onion (from 1/2 small onion)
3/4 cup finely chopped red pepper (from 1 small pepper)
1/2 cup finely chopped Anaheim pepper (from 1 medium pepper)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste at the end
1 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions (about 2), for serving
3-4 tortillas, warmed, for serving
1 sliced avocado, for serving
Sour cream, for serving, optional
- Remove the tofu from its package and use paper towels to remove excess water by pressing and blotting the tofu.
- Place tofu in a bowl and mash well until you reach a crumbly consistency.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, red pepper, and Anaheim pepper and cook until soft, usually takes 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander, cumin, garlic powder and salt and cook until just incorporated and fragrant, only take roughly 1 minute.
- Stir in the mashed tofu and the turmeric along with 2 tablespoons water, and cook until the mixture is warmed completely about 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop tofu scramble atop a tortilla and garnish with green onion and sliced avocado. Adding sour cream is optional.
Not a fan of how Turmeric tastes but you want the amazing benefits it has to offer? Give these super simple capsules a try… Go to this exclusive page for our discounted prices. Get Savings Here >>