This homemade granola will not only blow your taste buds away…but will help you reap the benefits of coconut oil. A majority of this dish is oats, almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, sour cherries and coconut chips. Some spice is added with cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and vanilla. In order to bake it in the oven, an egg white, coconut oil, and honey bind the will mixture together.
If you haven't read our article about the powerful benefits of coconut oil yet, take a look here: “The 5 Main Benefits of Coconut Oil”
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white, beaten (optional)
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, salt, lemon zest, and spices, toss to combine well.
- In a medium saucepan melt together honey and coconut oil, just to combine.
- Add vanilla, remove from heat and pour over oat mixture, stirring to combine and coat well.
- Add the egg white and mix to coat well.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet in an even layer and bake 15 minutes, stir and continue to bake in 10-minute intervals, stirring between each until granola is uniformly golden.
- Stir in the cherries after removing from the oven.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet before breaking up and storing in an airtight container. (If you do not allow it to cool completely the granola will not be chunky, but just as delicious still.)
- To make the yogurt granola cups start by macerating some berries in a bit of sugar to taste, spoon into the bottom of a clean jar, top with Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and a handful of granola. If you use a jar with a lid, you can take this treat on the go.
Recipe and photo complimentary of HungryGirlPorVida.com